Goal Setting For Success
Do you wonder where you will be in five years? Have you thought about your main objective in life? What is it you want to achieve by the end of every day?
Successes in various aspects of our life are often driven by the goals we establish. Goals lead us to our destination and help us focus on our direction. Setting goals gives us control of our life’s path. Goals will also provide a measurable means to determine success. Each of us will have a different path towards a different destination, and that is okay. One person’s success may be defined with riches or promotions, while another’s may be defined by family and health. A simple goal may be to go on a hike.
Whatever your goals may be, it is important to know how to go about establishing them. People often confuse wanting something as a goal. Setting goals and being consciously aware of your goals allows you to see the process and the path to the end result.
How to Properly Set Goals
- Identify what is important to you and what you want to achieve. Make sure the goals you set motivate you. The end result should be an exciting prospect.
- Write your goals down and make sure they are SMART – Specific. Measurable. Attainable. Relevant. Time Bound.
- Make a plan. Often people get so focused on the outcome; they forget the steps needed to obtain the goal.
- Don’t give up. There will be setbacks and obstacles but don’t let that deter you.
- Celebrate success and learn from “failure”. When you reach a goal, reward yourself. When you don’t, figure out what you need to change or do differently to get you there.
SMART Goal Example:
Let’s say that your goal is to be in better shape and become healthy. First, you must decide what better shape and being healthy means to you. Then, you want to create your goals using the SMART Principle. Lastly, create an action plan to achieve your goals and work hard until you achieve your desired outcome. Remember, just like a crash diet, the results will not stick if you don’t stick with it.
Bad Goal: I want to get in better shape.
Good Goal: In 2 months, I am going to lose 10 pounds by working out 3 times per week for 1 hour and cutting out soda and fruity drinks from my daily diet.
A common mentality is that “I can’t”, “I don’t have time”, “I don’t have money”, etc. Focus on the things around you that are within your realm of control. Focusing on the negativity around you and accepting your current situation will only keep you from reaching your goals. Do not fear getting outside of your comfort zone once in a while and most of all, stay positive and do what makes you happy!